Earlier this week I posted my “Then” and “Now” picture on Instagram as part of #TransformationTuesday. My main point in posting it is that I’ve been working hard for 23 weeks to lose 15 pounds. That seems like a lot, and a little if you think about how long that is, but it is 10% of my body weight, and I am ecstatic about it taking that long.
Why? Because I had weeks where I would focus on just one thing because life got crazy. It was lots of small steps, and small improvements that got me this far, and doing the same will keep me going in the same direction. Making progress isn’t about suddenly changing your entire life, it’s about being smart, making good decisions, and letting small changes add up to big things over time.
Think about it, when you started running, was your first run a marathon? I highly doubt it. You started with a mile, or a minute, or a block. Over time, you went further, you went faster, and who knows how many miles you’ve logged today.
Here are 5 small things you can do this week to start making healthy changes to your life:
– Plan 1 meal for each week day this weekend. If you’re not normally a meal planner or meal prepper, making an entire weekly menu and chopping and cooking for hours each weekend seems unimaginable. Write out one meal each day, and make sure you have what you need on hand. This way you’ve got at least 1 healthy meal planned each day, and the ingredients to cook it.
– Do 10 minutes of something active each morning. Whether you do 10 minutes of squats, pushups, lunges and crunches, run or walk for 10 minutes, or do 10 minutes of playing with your kids before jumping in the shower, just 10 minutes. It’s not enough time to steal from your sleep, and, depending on what you choose, you can do it in your PJs.
– Clean out the junk. Think of this as either junk food or just junk. Cleansing clutter or crappy food out of your life will get you started toward a happier and healthier lifestyle.
– Laugh or dance… or both. Laughter is good for your health. Dancing is fun, and often results in laughter. Make sure you do a little of one or the other, and hopefully both. Each day in my Healthy, Happy New Year Group, I have a Party Song to kick off a little 2 minutes dance party. It’s hard not to smile and feel better after dancing.
– Drink water, and lots of it. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day. If you’re not normally drinking much water, just aim to double what you normally drink. Yes, you will visit the bathroom a little more of used to it, and you’ll feel amazing.
What small change will you do this week?
What’s a small change tip you do each week?
When was the last time you had a 2 minute dance party? Here’s a song to get you going: