It’s time for another Three on Thursday, alresdy?! This week reminded me that prioritization in life is critical, but really hard.
Three Things that make Me Happy
1) After months of focus and training, and with BIG motivation from Karen, I finally beat my half-marathon PR. That PR had been in place since my very first half nearly 5 years ago, and not just finishing faster, but by more than 5 minutes.
2) Fall weather has started to arrive. Yesterday on my walk to a breakfast meeting, it was in the low 50’s and I was so excited to be able to wrap up in a scarf when I left the house.
Paused in Sister Cities Park to get a good view of the Autumnal amazingness
3) I stayed quite strong during the last few days of taper and after finishing my race and didn’t go nuts with unhealthy food. This is huge for me. Race day is a celebration, which historically means eat all the amazing and unhealthy foods you can eat. I probably over thought everything, which impacted my total recovery, but I’m proud that I stayed pretty strong.
Three Areas of Focus
1) Prioritization & Trade-Offs. I feel like this is on my list every week, but last night I made a big breakthrough and it hit me: doing something I think I should be doing doesn’t matter if its not something I want to do, or won’t move me closer to a goal that I have. This isn’t about being totally selfish and looking at personal ROI for my time, but in its truest form is focusing on things that make me happy.
Image from Pinterest
2) Recommit to training. I have just over 5 weeks till my next half, and while its no longer a goal race, I still want to be able to enjoy it, not suffer through it. I also need to refocus on the In Her Shoes Fall Shred program. I learned during Sunday’s race that I can push harder than I think I can, and pushing hard in training, means I can push hard in life.
3) Finish organizing my apartment. There are piles of stuff that still need homes, or to be donated, and I can’t feel at peace in my home until things are in their places. This weekend is a good opportunity to get to it.
1) I had some big work accomplishments last week, and for the amount of sleep I lost going into race weekend, it was great.
2) I listened to my body and gave myself time to rest and recover when I was feeling really run down after my race. I realized I was fighting a bug, and couldn’t afford to let it fully take me down, so I took a little time to relax, renew, and heal.
Tell me what makes you happy, area of focus and accomplishment for the week!