It’s the end of the month, which means its time to take a quick look back, and set intentions for the next month.
July was a crazy month.
I became a temporary, permanent resident of Philadelphia.
I enjoyed some delicious, but not the healthiest, meals.
I finished my 6th half marathon in some crazy heat & humidity, and still hit one of my 3-tiered goals for the race.
I found myself, even though I hadn’t realized I’d been lost.
I consider that a pretty successful month!
But in the last 10 days post-race, I haven’t been great with my training. I’m feeling a little deflated because I’ve only run 3 times since the race, and am having a hard time getting motivated to get moving every day. I’ve been tight, exhausted, and this week, battling some serious allergy issues that are making me feel like I have the flu. Thankfully, I see my new allergist tomorrow, and should be able to start getting it under control again, and get back to pushing myself with my training.
All this is important because its a new month, and it brings new goals. Also, I’ve decided the word of the month for August is Activity. Being active in my new surroundings, actively training, and actively being social again.
So here are the goals:
– August Yoga Challenge: I did this earlier this year, and I felt so great, and got a friend involved in it too. He re-challenged me for August, and knowing how important its going to be to stay loose and get strong with 2 more races this fall, I immediately said yes. So, the goal is to do at least 15 minutes of yoga a day. It doesn’t have to be a class, but just pulling out the mat and focusing on my breath and my poses for at least 15 minutes each day.
– Hit all of my training miles: they can be moved to different days, switched up a little, or split into 2 sessions if necessary, but no missing miles this month. Less than 50 days until my next half, mileage is key.
– Get in cross-training: even if its 15 minutes of HIIT, sets of squats and lunges, or getting my Nike Training Club or workouts at the gym in, strength & adding to my endurance is a focus.
– Stick to healthy food choices: perfection isn’t the goal here, but a minimum of 80/20 good choices to bad choices. I gained more weight last month than I should have, and my body can feel it. Sticking to my workouts isn’t enough, I need to make healthy food choices.
– Get out in the community: whether its going to a running group, attending a Group Fitness class, or going to a happy hour, I need to engage with my new city. I want to meet people, and the only way to do that, is to actually go places to meet people. I will go to a minimum of 1 thing per week.
– And finally, get settled: I get my keys this weekend, and my stuff next week. I have lived without most of my things (including a lot to clothes, shoes, and even bedding, let alone my bed or kitchen) for 8 months. I’m seriously dreaming about the things I will get back: my big Reidl wine glasses, my Cuisinart mini chopper, my shoes, my closet full of beautiful shoes, and my blender. I look forward to settling into my own kitchen, bedroom, and living room. Drinking coffee on my new balcony, and curling up on my own couch seems like just about the best weekend ever to me right now.
So there you have it. Activity August starts tomorrow!
What’s your biggest goal for August?
How do you deal with loss of motivation when you’re training?
If you had to live without your stuff for an extended period, what would you be most excited about getting back?